Are you an Independent Author (ie, do you Self Publish)? If so, we would love the chance to review your work.
The submission process for book reviews is pretty simple.
- Email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include Review Submission in the subject line.
- Include a PDF excerpt of your work. This should be between two and five chapters or 20% of the work if it is a short story. It needs to be enough that we can determine if it is a work we want to review.
You’ll receive an initial reply from Streetwraith Staff to confirm that your email has been received. We do not guarantee that we will review all works submitted to us. See the guidelines below for information about how we decide what works to review. We ask that you respect our decision whether we agree to review your work or not. Our Contributors and Authors volunteer their time.
- Your work should be your own finished work, ready for publication. If your work is full of grammar and spelling errors, we will not review it. If your work lacks basic formatting (such as paragraph breaks or quotation marks – trust me, we have seen this), we will not review it.
- It’s okay if your work is already published. We’ll still consider it for review.
- It must be self-published. We won’t consider work that is published through traditional publishers. We have nothing against traditional publishers. Not at all. This site, however, is to promote and support self-publishing. Also, if you have a formal publishing contract, your publisher will have his or her own avenues for getting your work reviewed, and you could potentially be breaching contract if you submit your work to us.
- You have to be the author. See #1. We will not work through agents or publicists. We have nothing against them either. We don’t charge authors for reviews, so we won’t work with someone who is charging the author to get in contact with us either.
- We don’t charge you for reviews, so if you’re paying someone to submit work to us, please see #4.
- We will not give you editorial advice. We won’t be talking about the mechanical aspects of your work. This is a critical review. If we feel the need to talk about poor grammar or story elements (plot, characterization, scene development, etc) then we won’t do the review. We’ll contact you, let you know the story still needs work (we will not get into specifics … we’re not your editor), and invite you to resubmit it when it’s finished.
- You can feel free to publish a copy of our review on your own website. This is the only time we allow your book review to be republished. When you republish the review, you must clearly attribute us as the author of the review and you must link back to the review on our site.
- Don’t keep emailing us about your book. This has happened before too. If we do not respond to you that we received your submission, then send us an email without any links or attachments so that we can check our spam folder for your submission.
- If you have submitted to us before and we never reviewed your book, it could be for any number of reasons. If it has been more than 6 months since your submission and you want to submit to us again, go ahead. We recommend that you submit another work, however.
If we decide to review your work, we will email you and let you know. We will also let you know if we need any additional information. If you do not hear back from us within 30 days of your submission, then we decided not to review your work.